A rich mushroom sauce for Organic September, and suitable for vegans!
Lovely with roast potatoes or used as a pasta sauce with seasonal courgettes and veg. Or simply keep it thick and served on toast for a simple supper.
1 punnet locally grown, organic mushrooms (shiitake if available)
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Glug olive oil1 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
Squeeze lemon juice (optional)
2 tsp tahini (optional)
- Finely chop the onion and simmer in 1cm of water together with the crushed garlic until translucent.
- Add the the chopped mushrooms, cover and sweat, adding a few drops more water as necessary. Mushrooms will release lots of water while cooking so no need to add lots.
- Once the mushrooms have reduced down and are tender, turn off the heat.
- Add the nutritional yeast flakes, tamari, oil, lemon juice and tahini (if using).
- Blend or leave it chunky, season to your tastes and add some chopped parsley.